Staying in a marriage is a deliberate choice that spouses need to make every single day. Donna M. White, LMHC, CACP once stated that “Many times I have heard couples say, “We know what’s wrong, but we just don’t know how to fix it.”. This is a perfect time to get a third party involved.”
There are times when married individuals suddenly feel comfort in the relationship, to the point that each of them no longer makes an effort in making things work, leading to seek marriage counseling or family therapy.
Fortunately, marriage counseling sessions are now available to wedded people who want to fight for the relationship and say no to divorce. However, not every issue in the marriage can be remedied by speaking to a professional guidance adviser or seeking marriage counseling. If there are still other remedies that are available, then be sure to resort to these first before seeking a licensed marriage counselor.
The perfect time to try marriage counseling work is when you encounter these signs:
- Lack Of Communication – Did you stop talking to your partner? Are you having difficulties in letting the other person know how you honestly feel? If you answered yes to all these questions, then the right thing to do is to seek the assistance of a professional counselor. Keep in mind that a lack of communication will only drive you apart. “Counseling to monitor and encourage that process can be valuable to those who truly want to repair and recommit to each other. A key element is a transparency or an open and honest approach to communicating everything that the person who cheated does from now to his or her partner.” Dave Stacho LMHC said.
Kids Are Affected – Having fights and arguments in a marital relationship is only typical. You cannot expect to have a perfect conjugal union. There will always be some petty disagreements or variances in opinions. However, once the kids are already involved and adversely affected by the negativity at home, then maybe it is time to seek a counselor to help you. Take note that the more you expose your children to an unloving family or home, the more rebellious they become. Try reaching out to a professional counselor for couples counseling as soon as possible in a situation like this.
Too Many Secrets – Keeping too many secrets from each other is a sign of a weak relationship. When this situation goes on for a long time, do not hesitate to avail of a professional counselor’s services. Always put in mind that trust is an essential element to make every kind of relationship work. When you no longer trust your partner and vice versa, then it is proper to say that the relationship has gone down the drain. Luckily, you can still regain the trust and faith that you have with each other if you seek counseling sessions and attend the necessary therapy sessions.
When it comes to seeking marriage counseling services in the city, make sure to choose a marriage counselor or a mental health professional who has good credentials and standing in the community. At the same time, never forget to seek the consent of your partner before contacting the marriage counselor. These kinds of decisions must be made mutually. You cannot make the decision to seek a marriage counselor all by yourself. Always remember that marriage consists of two or more persons who love and respect each other. Be sure to value what you have today by saving your marriage relationship. Julie Williams, Psy.D. also expresses that “Even better, these insights and skills that you’ll gain from marriage counseling and couples therapy can have great and lasting benefits in your other relationships, including in your relationships with colleagues, children, and other family members.”
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) in Marriage Counsel
- What is the role of marriage counseling?
- How do I know my marriage is over?
- What type of marriage and family therapists is best for marriage counseling?
- Who needs marriage counseling?
- What should I not tell a marriage counselor?
- How can I fix my marriage without counseling?
- What is the broken marriage?
- Is it ever too late for marriage counseling?
- How do you know if your husband wants to save your marriage?
- How do you know if it’s too late to fix a relationship?